Tom Bayer focuses his practice on a wide variety of municipal law matters, including numerous tax increment financing, special assessment, special service area, business district and economic development projects.
He currently serves as the Village Attorney for several suburbs in the Chicago area. In addition, Tom serves as Special Counsel for a number of municipalities in Northern Illinois relative to special assessment, special service area, tax increment financing, and economic development projects.
- Tom is a member of the American, Illinois, DuPage County and Chicago Bar Associations. He is currently a member of the Home Rule Attorneys Committee of the Illinois Municipal League and serves on a sub-committee that advises the Illinois Municipal League’s Legislative Committee.
Awards and Recognition
- Tom was an Illinois Super Lawyer in 2007—2008, based on nomination, evaluation of professional achievements and selection by a panel of attorneys in the applicable practice area. Only 5% of the total attorneys in each state receive the Super Lawyers designation.
- Tom has been named a Leading Lawyer in the governmental category by Law Bulletin Media, a peer-recommended distinction awarded to fewer than 5% of attorneys in Illinois, since 2008.
- He was also awarded the “Marvin J. Glink Private Practice Local Government Award” by the International Municipal Lawyers Association (IMLA) at IMLA’s 2017 Annual Conference.
Tom is co-author of the following publications:
- Chapter 2: “Zoning Controls – Regulating Land Use,” Illinois Land Use Law, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education
- Chapter 6: “Governmental Financing of Development,” Illinois Land Use Law, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education
- Chapter 1: “Finance and Tax,” Municipal Law: Financing, Tax, and Municipal Property, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education
- Chapter 4: “Special Assessments, Special Service Areas and Business Districts,” Municipal Law: Financing, Tax, and Municipal Property, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education
- Financing Municipal Improvements, a handbook, Illinois Municipal League
- Conflict of Interests and Liability of Illinois Elected Municipal Officials, a handbook, Illinois Municipal League
- Municipal Forms of Government, a handbook, Illinois Municipal League
- Home Rule vs. Non-Home Rule Status (What’s Best for Your Municipality), a handbook, Illinois Municipal League
- Liquor Licensing and Regulation, a handbook, Illinois Municipal League
- The Sunshine Laws – Open Meetings and Freedom of Information Acts, a handbook, Illinois Municipal League
Tom has spoken on a wide range of municipal law topics in various organizations and their events including:
- Illinois Tax Increment Association
- Illinois Municipal League’s Annual Conference and Newly Elected Officials Conference
- Illinois Institute for Local Government Law’s Annual Conference
- Government Finance Officers Association
- Northern Illinois University’s Civic Leadership Academy