Sheryl Churney represents numerous cities, villages, townships, township road districts, fire protection districts and other government bodies in LaSalle, Grundy, Bureau, Putnam and Marshall Counties. She also represents downstate counties and township road districts with respect to agreements protecting local road infrastructure.
Sheryl graduated from Northern Illinois University, magna cum laude, in 1987 and received her Juris Doctor Degree from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1990. While in law school, she was on the Moot Court National Team and received the Milwaukee Bar Moot Court award. Sheryl is admitted to practice in Illinois.
- Sheryl is a member of the Illinois State Bar Association, the LaSalle County Bar Association, the Illinois Township Attorneys Association and the Illinois Local Governmental Lawyers Association.
- Sheryl is a member of the Local Government Law Section Council of the Illinois State Bar Association and has served as the Council’s Vice-Chair (2016—17) and Chair (2017—18).
- Sheryl was honored to be selected as a 2016 Woman of Distinction by Illinois Valley Living Magazine. Sheryl has also served on a variety of local boards and most recently served as a member of the Illinois Valley Community Hospital Foundation Board.
- “Township Authority to Fix Problem Properties” – Local Government Law – ISBA Newsletter, 2007
- “A Step-by-Step Guide to Township Tax Levies” – Township Officials of Illinois Annual Education Conference, 2020
- “Preparing the Township Levy: Step by Step” – Township Officials of Illinois Webinar Series, 2020
- “Show Me the Money” – West Central Illinois Highway Commissioners Association Annual Educational Conference, 2019
- Seminar for Newly Elected Officials – North Central Illinois Council of Governments, 2019
- “Managing the Social Media Minefield” – East Central Illinois Highway Commissioners Association Annual Education Conference, 2019
- “Road Use Agreements” – East Central Illinois Highway Commissioners Association Annual Education Conference, 2019 and 2015
- “Staying on the Right Path: Ethics for Highway Commissioners” – Illinois Association of Township Highway Commissioners, 2013
- “Dealing with Developers” – Illinois Association of Township Highway Commissioners, 2012 and 2014
- “Dealing with Developers” – Association of Northwest Illinois Highway Commissioners, 2012
- “Drainage Law Basics” – Association of Bureau County Highway Commissioners, 2012
- “Staying on the Right Path: Ethics for County Engineers” – IDOT Bureau of Local Roads County Executive Leadership Program, 2013
- “The Open Meetings Act”- Illinois State Bar Association, 2009
- “How to Start a Business,” Public Affairs Cable Television Program, panelist, 1996
- “Municipal Law,” People’s Law School, Illinois Valley Community College, 2007