Carlos Arévalo has been practicing law for more than 20 years, and has significant experience in representing Illinois public sector clients in the areas of labor and employment law involving benefits, termination, discipline, labor arbitration and collective bargaining, as well as local government law. He represents clients in state and federal court and in administrative proceedings before the Equal Opportunity Employment Commission, Illinois Department of Human Rights, Illinois Labor Relations Board and more. Carlos also represents private sector clients, including profit and non-profit entities as well as individuals.
Additionally, Carlos not only served as president of the McHenry County Bar Association, he was president and president-elect of the Stateline SHRM Chapter. He continues to be active in leadership for the Illinois State Bar Association’s labor and employment and local government related committees, speaking on these issues at the state and local level. Carlos is a member of the Leadership Greater McHenry County Class of 2013, and sits on the Regional Board of the Mercy Health System and was previously a member of the Board of Trustees for McHenry County College.
Born in El Salvador, Carlos attended college and law school in Boston. He is a fluent Spanish speaker.
- Past Chair of the Illinois State Bar Association Section Councils for Local Government Law from 2009-2010.
- Past Chair of the Illinois State Bar Association Section Councils for Labor & Employment Law from 2015-2016.
- Carlos is also a member of the Illinois Public Employer Labor Relations Association, Legislative Committee and the Illinois Local Government Lawyers Association.
- Carlos was President of the McHenry County Bar Association from 2014-2015.
- Carlos is a member of the Leadership Greater McHenry County Class of 2013.
- Carlos sits on the Regional Community Board: Mercy Health System.
Awards and Recognition
- Carlos has been named a Leading Lawyer by Law Bulletin Media, a peer-recommended distinction awarded to fewer than 5% of attorneys in Illinois.
- Chicago Teachers Union’s Demands – Carlos Arévalo quoted in the Cook County Record, October 21, 2019
- Ruling against Facebook could propel additional biometric lawsuits – Carlos Arévalo quoted in Business Insurance, August 20, 2019
- Denial of Lincolnshire Right-to-Work Ordinance Could Forebode SCOTUS Fight – Carlos Arévalo quoted in the Cook County Record, October 9, 2018
- Carlos Arévalo included among McHenry County Business Leaders Sharing Strategies at 90 Ideas in 90 Minutes Event, Northwest Herald, September 27, 2017
- A fast learner and riser – Chicago Daily Bulletin highlights Carlos Arévalo, July 14, 2014
- First minority elected to lead McHenry County Bar – Northwest Herald highlights Carlos Arévalo, July 6, 2014
- “Abood v Detroit Bd. of Education survives…for now?” – ISBA’s Labor & Employment Law Newsletter, April 2016
- “Managers Must Keep Up with New OSHA Reporting Rules” – Northwest Herald, March 2015
The Newsletter of the Illinois State Bar Association
- Illinois Supreme Court Rules Public Employers Can Keep Disciplinary Records Longer Than Union Contracts Provide – July 2020
- SCOTUS Overrules Abood in Janus v AFSCME – September, 2018
- Officials Not Entitled to Qualified Immunity in First Amendment Retaliation Claim – December, 2016
- Police and fire discharge: Arbitration vs commission – What does the collective bargaining agreement say? – December 2014
- The Supreme Court’s Vance v Ball State University decision – Who is a supervisor for purposes of Title VII – September 2013
- A recent PSEBA decision: Lifetime benefits they are not! – March 2013
- Second District Appellate Court reaffirms ground rules on SSA objection petitions – April 2011
- The continuing expansion of the Public Safety Employee Benefits Act – June 2010
- Wade: The Supreme Court’s final word on Section 3-115 of the Pension Code – June 2008
- A municipality’s dilemma involving injured police officers – April 2007
- When does a disability justify a pension? The aftermath of the Turcol decision – September 2005
Carlos has led a variety of webinars, conferences and seminars over the years.
- Post COVID-19 and the Municipal Employer-Employee Relationship, IML September 2022
- Social Media and Employee Discipline – 37th Annual Illinois Public Sector Labor Relations Law Conference, December 2021
- 2021-2022 Employment Legal and Legislative Update – Stateline SHRM, November 2021
- The Right to Privacy in the Workplace Act and State of Employee Privacy in Illinois – IML Conference, September 2021
- Privacy Issues Panel – McHenry County College Healthcare Industry Forum webcast, May 2021
- Beyond Your Basic Supervisor Training for Spanish Speaking Supervisors – Illinois Chamber of Commerce, April 2021
- NEW IL Mandatory Anti-Sexual Harassment Training: Train the Trainer – Illinois Chamber of Commerce Seminar, April 2021
- Best Practices and Risk Management – Lutheran Church Missouri-Synod – Northern Illinois District, April 2021
- Mandatory Vaccines in the Workplace – Crystal Lake Chamber of Commerce, February 2021
- Diversity & Inclusion: Diversity Trends in the Profession – Illinois State Bar Association, Leadership Academy, 2020
- Nuts and Bolts of Discipline webcast – 36th Annual Illinois Public Sector Labor Relations Law Conference, November 2020