Thomas P. Bayer
Thomas P. Bayer graduated from DePaul University in 1980 with highest honors and received a B.A. degree. He received his J.D. degree with honors from DePaul University College of Law in June of 1983 where he graduated number one in his class. While attending DePaul University College of Law, he received three awards for excellence in courses taken, two awards for general outstanding scholastic achievement and was a member of the research staff for the DePaul Law Review. He has been admitted to the bar of the State of Illinois and the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois and is a member of the American, Illinois, DuPage County and Chicago Bar Associations.
Mr. Bayer is currently a member of the Home Rule Attorneys Committee of the Illinois Municipal League, and serves on a sub-committee that advises the Illinois Municipal League’s Legislative Committee. He is currently working on a wide variety of municipal law matters, including numerous tax increment financing, special assessment, special service area, business district and economic development projects, areas of the law in which he specializes. Mr. Bayer currently serves as the Village Attorney for several suburbs in the Chicago area. In addition, Mr. Bayer serves as Special Counsel for a number of municipalities in Northern Illinois relative to special assessment, special service area, tax increment financing, and economic development projects.
Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education
• Co-authored: Zoning Controls - Regulating Land Use, and Governmental Financing of Development, Chapters of the Illinois Land Use Law publication, published by the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education.
• Co-authored the Special Assessments, Special Service Areas and Business Districts, and Finance and Taxation, Chapters of the Illinois Municipal Law publication, published by the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education.
Illinois Municipal League• Handbook on Financing Municipal Improvements.
• Manual on Conflict of Interests and Liability of Illinois Elected Municipal Officials.
• Handbook on Municipal Forms of Government.
• Manual on Home Rule vs. Non-Home Rule Status (What’s Best For Your Municipality).
• The Sunshine Laws – Open Meetings and Freedom of Information Acts.
• Manual on Liquor Licensing and Regulation.
• Illinois Tax Increment Association.
• Illinois Municipal League's Annual Conference and Newly Elected Officials Conference.
• Illinois Institute for Local Government Law’s Annual Conference.
• Government Finance Officers Association.
• Northern Illinois University’s Civic Leadership Academy.
Mr. Bayer was selected as one of the leading lawyers in Illinois in the government related field as reported in Crain's Chicago, Illinois Super Lawyers for 2007 and 2008, and a Leading Lawyer for 2008 through 2018, in the governmental category.
Mr. Bayer received the International Municipal Lawyers Association (IMLA) Private Practice Local Government Attorney of the Year Award for 2017. This award is given to an attorney who, in addition to the traditional qualities of excellence in the practice of law, has provided outstanding service to the public, possesses an exemplary reputation in the legal community and the highest of ethical standards, and is devoted to mentoring young lawyers and educating lawyers in local government law. IMLA has more than 2,500 members across the United States and Canada.