Michael T. Jurusik graduated from Hamilton College with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science, and received his Juris Doctor Degree from Loyola University Chicago School of Law. While in law school, Mr. Jurusik was awarded the American Jurisprudence Award for outstanding academic achievement in the area of pre-trial litigation. He has been admitted to the bars of the State of Illinois, the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois and the United States Supreme Court. Mr. Jurusik is a member of the American Bar Association, the Chicago Bar Association, the Illinois State Bar Association and the International Municipal Lawyers Association.
Mr. Jurusik served as Secretary during 2008-2009, Vice Chair during 2009-2010 and Chair during 2010-2011 of the Illinois State Bar Association, Local Government Section Council. He is also a member of the Home Rule Attorneys Committee of the Illinois Municipal League. Mr. Jurusik serves as counsel for the Boards of Fire and Police Commissioners in the Village of Westchester, Village of Western Springs, City of Park Ridge and Village of Maywood, as Village Attorney for the Villages of Maywood and Western Springs, as Corporation Counsel for the Northeastern Illinois Public Safety Training Academy and the Broadview-Westchester Joint Water Agency, Lyons Township ACCA Conventions Center, Illinois Valley Regional Dispatch center, LaSalle County Joint Emergency Telecom System Board, Vermilion Valley Regional Emergency Communications Authority, West Central Consolidated Communications as counsel to pension boards and as special counsel to several other municipalities and park districts throughout Illinois.
Mr. Jurusik’s practice is concentrated on counseling local governmental entities, special districts, private corporations and individuals in the areas of contract law, employment law, library law, municipal law, utility and railroad right of way matters and zoning matters, including representing clients in civil litigation, administrative proceedings and alternative dispute resolution forums in the state and federal court systems and before the Illinois Human Rights Commission, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and the Illinois Commerce Commission.
Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education
- Co-Author of Education What Are Public Bodies and What Are Public Records (Illinois Freedom of Information Act).
- Co-Author of Zoning Controls - Regulating Land Use.
- Co-Author of Governmental Financing of Development - Illinois Land Use Law, Special Assessments.
- Co-Author Special Service Areas and Business Districts.
- Co-Author Finance and Taxation - Illinois Municipal Law.
Illinois Municipal League
- Co-Author of the Manual on Liquor Licensing and Regulation.
- Co-Author of the Financing Municipal Improvements handbook.
- Co-Author of the Manual on Conflict of Interests and Liability of Illinois Elected Municipal Officials.
- Co-Author of the Municipal Forms of Government handbook.
- Co-Author of the Manual on Illinois “Sunshine Laws” - The Open Meetings and Freedom of Information Act.
- Co-Author of the Handbook On Practice and Procedure In Police and Fire Disciplinary Matters.
Mr. Jurusik has spoken on a variety of municipal and zoning law topics at seminars and conferences conducted by the Illinois Municipal League, the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, the Illinois State Bar Association, the International Municipal Lawyer's Association, and the West Central Municipal Conference.