Chicago, IL Employment Law Attorneys Serving the Public Sector
Providing quality employment legal advice and litigation services
Employment law violations and lawsuits can lead to costly liability for cities, town and local agencies. Klein, Thorpe & Jenkins, Ltd. handles every aspect of employment law for our public sector clients throughout the Chicago area. From providing comprehensive legal advice regarding compliance with state and federal employment laws to defending individual and class action lawsuits, we deliver outstanding results.
Delivering knowledgeable employment law advice
The area of employment law is continually changing. Our lawyers actively monitor judicial decisions and changes in federal, state and municipal laws so that our clients’ employment practices and policies can be modified as needed. We counsel our clients regarding how to minimize risk when dealing with sensitive employment issues such as:
As part of our work, we also review and update personnel policy manuals for our clients to ensure compliance with federal and state laws. By establishing and enforcing sound policies and procedures, many employers can avoid lawsuits down the road.
Providing seasoned employment law litigation services
The number of employment-related lawsuits filed by both employers and employees has grown dramatically in recent years. In addition to private suits, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission set a record for monetary recovery from employers through its administrative process in 2012. The most frequently filed charges were retaliation (37,836), race discrimination (33,512) and gender discrimination (30,356).
Our Chicago employment attorneys are dedicated to protecting our clients from these costly and disruptive suits. We routinely defend both private and public sector clients against individual and class actions. These may be brought in federal and state courts and involve many different aspects of employment law. Matters we handle include:
- Race, gender, religion or national origin discrimination under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act
- Age discrimination under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act
- Accommodation of disabilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Faculty and tenure disputes, disciplinary actions and other issues involving education law
- Unpaid wages or overtime under the Fair Labor Standard Act
- Employee leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act
- Violations of employment contracts, such as covenants not to compete and nondisclosure agreements
- Termination disputes involving wrongful discharge or dismissal of employees covered by policy manuals
We also handle labor issues, including collective bargaining negotiations, grievance arbitrations and mediation, and unfair labor practice matters arising under the National Labor Relations Act and state labor relations statutes.
Klein, Thorpe & Jenkins, Ltd. has served the Chicago area since 1935. Our experienced team of attorneys provides legal representation in all areas of employment law. Contact our firm’s office in downtown Chicago at 312.984.6400 or in Orland Park at 708.349.1506 or online to arrange an initial consultation.