Terrence M. Barnicle received a full scholarship and was graduated Cum Laude from Loyola University receiving a B.S. degree in 1965. He was awarded a full scholarship to Northwestern University School of Law and received his J.D. degree Cum Laude in 1968. While at Northwestern, he served as an editor of the Northwestern Law Review. Since 1968, he has been a member of the firm of Klein, Thorpe & Jenkins, Ltd. and has specialized in the area of school and municipal law. Mr. Barnicle has been admitted to the bars of the State of Illinois, and the United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court.
Mr. Barnicle is presently a member of the Illinois and Chicago Bar Associations and has served as Chairman of the School Law Subcommittee and as Chairman of the Local Government Committee of the Chicago Bar Association. Mr. Barnicle has served as the Chairman of the Home Rule Attorneys Standing Committee of the Illinois Municipal League. Mr. Barnicle has lobbied before the General Assembly on school, municipal and local governmental bills of interest, as well as having served as Chairman of the Local Government Legislative Subcommittee of the Chicago Bar Association. Mr. Barnicle also served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Great Books Foundation. He also lectures frequently on municipal law.
Illinois Municipal League
- Co-authored the Manual on Illinois' Sunshine Laws,
- Co-authored the Manual on Conflict of Interest and Liability of Illinois Elected Municipal Officials,
- Co-authored the manual on "Municipal Forms of Government",
Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education
- Co-editor of the 2-volume work on School Law
- Co-authored the chapter entitled "Finance and Tax" for the practice handbook on Illinois Municipal Law,
- Co-authored the chapter entitled "Contracts and Intergovernmental Affairs" for the practice handbook on Illinois School Law,
- Authored a Special Report entitled "New Illinois Law Regulates Employee Records."
- Illinois Municipal Review and the Illinois School Board Journal authored an article entitled "Bond and Note Registration - The Effect of TEFRA".
- Illinois Association of School Boards he co-authored Formal Dismissal Procedures under Illinois Teacher Tenure Laws, with other members of the firm,
Mr. Barnicle was also recently selected as one of the leading lawyers in Illinois in the government related field for excellence in municipal law, as reported in Crain's Chicago. He has also received the Distinguished Service Award for Lifetime Achievement from the Illinois Institute for Local Government Law.