Chicago, IL Special Education Law Firm Protecting Educational Institutions’ Best Interests
When it matters most, our attorneys provide outstanding legal representation
Since 1935, Klein, Thorpe & Jenkins, Ltd. has represented school districts throughout the Chicago area and all of Illinois. Our clients range from large suburban unit districts and high school districts to elementary districts. We serve as general counsel to numerous school districts in Illinois, but also serve and support many additional school districts with a wide variety of specialized services or projects. We have extensive experience handling special education matters and are fully equipped to assist you.
Guidance for schools seeking to offer comprehensive special education services
We can help educational institutions with all special education law issues, including:
- Individualized education plan (IEP) matters. A child who attends public school and receives special education services must have an IEP. The law requires an IEP to include certain information about the child and the educational program designed to meet the child’s special needs. We have extensive experience handling IEP issues.
- Due process proceedings. Due process hearings are used to resolve disagreements between parents and schools regarding children with special needs. Our trial attorneys have handled numerous due process hearings. It is important for schools to have proper legal representation at these proceedings.
- Federal court proceedings. Parents may seek action in federal court under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and other federal statutes. We are proficient in arguing these types of claims on behalf of schools.
- Disability and discrimination issues. Federal law prohibits discrimination against a student based solely on that person's disability. We are well versed in handling claims of discrimination.
- Mediation and settlements. We work with parents and their advocates in a professional manner, understanding the continuing working relationship the school district administrators and staff must have with these families. Our approach to dispute resolution includes consideration of the most efficient and effective use of school resources for the student as opposed to fees devoted to expensive and time-consuming hearings.
It is vital that educational institutions protect their rights and best interests in all of the above matters and proceedings. Our firm can be your advocate. In addition to resolving special education law matters, we can address disputes related to student issues.
Schedule a consultation with a special education lawyer focused on helping schools
Klein, Thorpe & Jenkins, Ltd. has an office in downtown Chicago near Lyric Opera and another location in Orland Park to serve our clients in the suburbs. Contact our downtown Chicago office at 312.984.6400 or the Orland Park office at 708.349.1506 or online to schedule a consultation.